Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Top News

Child dies in hot car in Conn.: Father discovers 15-month-old boy in car

See also

A Conn. child has died after being left in a hot car for an “extended period of time." A 15-month-old boy died inside a hot car in Ridgefield, Conn., according to WFSB News on July 9. The father of the boy discovered him in the car and drove him to a local hospital emergency room, but it was too late to save his life.

This is not a rare event, this incident makes the total of six children being left in a hot car reported in Conn., "so far in July," reports the New Haven Register. The previous incidents all resulted in arrests. This is the first fatality out of these cases. Residents of the upscale town of Ridgefield are in shock that this type of event continues to happen.

Carl Baum, associate professor of pediatrics at the Yale School of Medicine, said “there are no safe conditions for a child to be left in the car.” Temperatures can reach up to 120 degrees inside a car during the summer months, said Baum.

The father of the 15-month-old boy drove his son to the emergency room at Danbury Hospital after discovering him in the hot car, reports Capt. Jeff Kreitz of the Ridgefield Police Department. Police received a phone call from hospital staff at about 6 p.m. Monday night, reports The New York Times.

Law enforcement was notified that an “unidentified toddler was left in a car for an extended amount of time.” Police did not release any details in this death such as the amount of time the child was left unattended and the circumstances around the child being left in the car.

The family is from Ridgefield, Conn, police report. The Department of Children and Family was notified and they report that they have had no prior contact with this family.

The investigation into this case is on-going and police would not release any more information for that reason. Captain Kreitz could not release the child’s name or the location of the car that the child was discovered in.

Ridgefield, Conn., which is on the border of New York State, had a high of 88 degrees on Monday. It only takes minutes for the inside of a car to soar over 100 degrees in this weather.

Brian Pavao, 33, of Groton, Conn. was arrested after leaving his six-month-old little girl in the back seat of his car when he went into Shop Rite Supermarket on North Frontage Road in New London. The temperature inside of that car topped 130 degrees, police report.

Court records show that police arrived to find the baby in an unlocked car, soak and wet from sweat and crying. All the windows were rolled up with the exception of one window, which was open about an inch.

Pavao said he had been texting when he went into the store, completely forgetting about his baby in the car. He was charged with risk of injury to a minor.

In Orange, Conn. a mother left her three-year-old son in the car while she shopped at Trader Joe’s. Police received a call from a concerned citizen that the child was in the car. This Shelton, Conn. mother said she had left her son in the car while she ran into the store for a few things.

She was charged with risk of injury to a minor and leaving a child under 12 unattended in a car, which is against Conn. state laws. Nationwide, 44 children died in hot cars in 2013, with the total so far for 2014 at 15 deaths.