Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Family & Parenting
  3. Parenting Issues

Child dies after swallowing battery

Parents with toddlers face an uphill battle: making sure their little ones don't put anything in their mouths. Two local parents learned that lesson the hard way, after their little boy swallowed a small battery and died.
Michelle Truett told The Ohio News Network's Lot Tan, "You could just look at him and smile, and he would smile." Her 13-month-old son Aidan has just started to walk.
He was the baby in the family, the youngest of three kids, and he loved to eat.
"He loved food, so we knew something wasn't right when he didn't want to eat and couldn't hold anything down," Truett said.
That was the first sign the family said they knew something was wrong. After a second trip to the doctor's office they thought maybe Aidan had a viral infection, but that wasn't it either. Initial x-rays missed it too.
Finally, Aidan's doctors found the problem. Aidan had swallowed a battery and it was in his stomach. The discovery was made a week and a half after his symptoms had started. Following a successful surgery that removed the battery, the Truett's thought their problems were over. But two days later, when Aidan's parents put him to bed for the night they heard him cough. His mom tried CPR, will her husband called 911.
Aidan was airlifted to Cincinnati Children's Hospital, but it was too late.
He passed away on November 22, 2009.
The Truett's kept the battery that took their son's life. They say it is a reminder of the dangers an object the size of a nickel can cause.
Now, they want to reach out to other parents… "And let them know the dangers and the loss that you can get from a battery," said Lonnie Truett.
After Aidan's death an autopsy revealed the battery leaked acid which burned a hole in his esophagus.
The Truett's now attend family counseling, which they say has helped with their loss.
 

Comments

Advertisement

Life

  • Randy Travis
    Randy Travis returns with 'Influence Vol. 2: The Man I Am' in August
    Today's Buzz
  • Alternative medicine
    Alternative medicine: Remedies to make the bugs in your body go away for good
    Camera
    7 Photos
  • Beach body
    Fitness: Earn your beach body badge with bootcamp classes
    Camera
    10 Photos
  • Back to school
    These 10 items are sure winners on your back-to-school shopping trip
    Camera
    12 Photos
  • Izabel Goulart
    Izabel Goulart walks the runway with Studio F at Colombia Moda
    Camera
    19 Photos
  • Ombre' technique
    Go for the gusto: What ombre' technique are you?
    Camera
    5 Photos