Poison control officials have warned about the hazards of colorful laundry detergent pods, saying children can easily mistake them for candy.
Now, a 7-month-old Florida boy has died after eating one of those packets.
On Thursday, The Florida Department of Children and Families said it had prior history with the family of the boy, Michael Williams, but officials declined comment.
If confirmed, his death could be the first reported death in the U.S. tied to the detergent packets, though so far this year alone, more than 5,000 children have been sickened by them, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
The child and his mother were staying at a shelter for abused women. The mother says she placed the detergent pod inside a laundry basket on the bed where her son was sleeping.
She stepped away, and when she returned, the boy had eaten one packet of the extremely concentrated detergent.
The CDC warned last year in a report "children might be attracted to the pods because their colorful appearance and size are similar to candy."
The Florida Department of Children and Families confirmed the boy ate the laundry packet but said it will take weeks before medical examiners can make an official ruling on the cause of death.
"The death of little Michael is a tragedy," DCF spokeswoman Terri Durdaller wrote in an email to the Orlando Sentinel. "It reminds all of us as parents the dangers of leaving household cleaning supplies around our little ones."
Manufacturers are being urged to change the products. In July, the makers of Tide pods announced it was replacing its clear fishbowl-like packaging with an orange opaque container to discourage curious children, according to a company news release. It also has a double-latch lid that is child-resistant.