This recipe for chicken tortilla soup is fast and easy and can be customized to fit your needs. Don't care for green onions? Don't include them. Love cilantro? Bring it on!
Chicken tortilla soup
1 onion diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
3 to 5 large tomatoes, diced
1 can low sodium chicken broth
1 ¼ cups water
1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
1 chopped jalapeno pepper
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
crushed tortilla chips
diced green onions
- In medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute' onion and garlic till soft.
- Stir in chili powder, tomatoes, oregano, broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer 10 – 15 minutes.
- Stir in corn, jalapeno, beans and chicken. Simmer for another 10 minutes till heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with tortilla chips and green onions.