Is there a more comforting meal on a cold winter’s day than a good old fashion chicken pot pie? The answer is yes; however the winner, chicken pot pie soup, is a close relative.
What is chicken pot pie soup? It is basically the delicious filling of a chicken pot pie with pie crust sprinkled over the top similar to the way your sprinkle crackers over other soups. It is also a great recipe for a busy weeknight that your family will love.
Chicken pot pie soup
- 2 cups cooked and diced chicken breast
- 1 16oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups milk (1% works great)
- 1 rolled up refrigerated pie crust
- In a medium pot or crock pot, combine all ingredients. Allow soup to simmer until heated thoroughly.
- Unroll pie crust and use cookie cutters to cut out various shapes; or just use a drinking glass to create circles.
- Place the cut out crust on a greased cookie sheet and bake as directed until golden.
- Serve up each bowl of soup with a couple of pie crust crackers.
(The above recipe is based on an original recipe in allrecipe.com)
- You don’t need to cut out shapes in the pie crust if you don’t want to. Simply bake the crust as directed, crush when cooled and serve them on the table in a bowl to sprinkle over soup.
- Play with different flavors of soup. Keep one cream of chicken; however you could use cream of celery, potato, mushroom or broccoli as alternatives for the second can.
- Milk options- for a thicker soup, cut back the milk to 1.5 cups. 1% milk works great, but use what you have. No need to fret.
Chicken pot pie soup is a great meal for a cold or raining evening. It’s also a quick satisfying meal for a busy weeknight that your whole family will love and request often. The best part: you probably already have all the ingredients on hand.
Thanks for reading Raleigh Food! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!