We turned this classic Italian dish up a notch by serving it with our homemade tomato-basil pasta sauce that brings out the flavor of the chicken cutlets and compliments the mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano cheeses.
Origin: our kitchen
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
· 8 thin chicken cutlets
· 8 oz angel hair pasta
· ½ cup all purpose flour
· 2 large eggs
· ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
· 2 tsp Mediterranean seasoning
· 4 tbsp fresh basil (finely chopped)
· 8 oz Mozzarella cheese (sliced)
· 4 oz Parmigiano Reggiano (freshly grated)
· Fresh pepper
Ingredients for tomato-basil sauce
· 16 oz petite diced tomatoes
· 8 oz tomato sauce
· 1 tbsp fresh basil (finely chopped)
· 1 tsp Italian seasoning
· ½ tsp oregano
· ½ tsp paprika powder
· ½ tsp red pepper flakes
· Fresh pepper
· Mix all the ingredients together for the tomato-basil sauce and bring to a simmer. Keep warm until ready to use. This can be made one day in advance and kept refrigerated.
· In deep plates, make three working stations. One for all-purpose flour, second for egg wash and third for bread crumbs.
· Mix the bread crumbs with 4 tbsp fresh basil, Mediterranean seasoning and fresh pepper to taste.
· Coat the chicken cutlets with flour, drag through egg wash and coat with seasoned bread crumbs, shaking off any excess along the way.
· Fry cutlets in olive oil on medium heat on both sides until light brown but not fully cooked (about 2 minutes on each side).
· Remove from pan, top each cutlet with sliced mozzarella and place on cookie sheet.
· Preheat oven and bake for 3 minutes at 400F.
· Cook pasta per package instructions (2 minutes for al dente) and drain well.
Plate the pasta, top with tomato-basil sauce and place cutlets on top. Sprinkle with fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano.