Chicken Curry with Basmati Rice
1 1/2 cups basmati rice
10 skinless, bone-on chicken breasts
2 medium onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
3 cups chicken stock
1 15 oz can chick peas, rinsed and drained
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups frozen peas, thawed
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
lime wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Soak rice in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and heat until hot. Add onions and cook, stirring, until light golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander and ground red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high; stir in broth, chickpeas, tomatoes and the soaked and drained rice; bring to a simmer. Nestle the browned chicken pieces in the rice. Cover and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove the chicken pieces and stir peas into the rice. Season with salt and pepper. Set the chicken back on the rice, and sprinkle with cilantro, if using. Serve with lime wedges.
To view this recipe and more, please visit What Is Cooking Now?