Today’s recipe is Chicken-Apricot Skewers. Unsweetened coconut milk mixes with Greek yogurt, peanut butter, lime juice, a bit of brown sugar and savory ingredients to create a delicious marinade. Flavorful chicken and apricots are placed on skewers and grilled to perfection. Healthy and joyous eating!
Chicken-Apricot Skewers (Recipe courtesy epicurious.com)
- ¾ cup canned light unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 2 teaspoons (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) cilantro leaves plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped jalapeño (about 1 large; with seeds for more heat)
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into twenty-four 1" chunks
- 12 firm ripe small apricots, halved, pitted
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Lime wedges
- Twenty-four 6" bamboo skewers (soak in water for 1 hour before using)
Purée first 6 ingredients and ¾ teaspoon salt in a blender until smooth. Add ¼ cup cilantro leaves and jalapeño; blend briefly to combine. Transfer ½ cup marinade to a bowl; cover and chill for serving (bring to room temperature before use). Place remaining marinade in a resealable plastic bag; add chicken, seal bag, and turn to coat. Chill at least 3 hours or overnight.
Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Holding 2 skewers parallel to each other and 1/2" apart, thread 1 piece of chicken onto skewers, then 1 apricot half. Repeat with 1 more chicken piece and 1 more apricot half (using 2 skewers helps hold the meat and fruit together, preventing them from twirling around when skewers are turned on the grill). Repeat with remaining skewers, chicken, and apricots for a total of 12, each holding 2 pieces of chicken and 2 apricot halves. Season with salt and pepper. Brush apricots with some marinade from bag; discard remaining marinade.
Grill skewers on one side until chicken is browned, 3-4 minutes. Turn and grill until other side is browned, 3-4 minutes longer. Move to a cooler part of grill. Cover grill and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a serving platter; sprinkle with cilantro sprigs and peanuts and drizzle with reserved marinade. Serve with lime wedges. Yield = six servings.