Photo courtesy of IMDB (Audrey Tatou as Amelie in Amelie, 2001).
Yes, every girl loves a great chick flick that somehow rehabilitates her senses; however, when it's movie night, your guy is probably hoping you go for something less cheesy than the boy sweeps girl off feet and carries her over threshold, type of movie and opts for something more realistic with good acting at least.
Here are some movies you can both agree on:
When Harry Met Sally (1989): Why? Because it's not only a great classic but it's a happy medium between girls and guys points of view.
She will love it because every girl has an underlined love for Meg Ryan. Sold right there; it’s a girl thing. The story is realistic and addresses that age old question of whether or not guys and girls can be platonic friends.
He will love it because it's full of great jokes presented by Billy Crystal, it's funny and it’s not a sappy love story.
2. Amelie (2001): Despite its chick flick bias, the story is lighthearted, clever and beyond endearing. It’s a foreign flick, but don’t let subtitles belittle you. The plot is hard not to love because of its unique and witty storyline. Yes, it has a love story embedded in it; however, the film is purely wonderful as it executes Amelie’s fantastical world of dreams on screen as she finds love. There is a perfect balance between intelligence and charming satire that you can't help but enjoy in this film.
3. An Officer and a Gentleman (1982):Richard Gere is the man. He can still make women scream like school girls well into his 60's. So why not take note of his antics from the beginning of his knee weakening stage? This movie has a realistic love story for the ladies and some manly boot camp drama that will keep you entertained.
He will like this because it involves a pretty awesome Thunderbird that will have him drooling as well as Gena Davis. Stop fantasizing.
She will like it because, well, Brad Pitt is at his youngest and the fun camaraderie between Thelma and Louise involving getting justice from dirty old men.
5. Jerry Maguire (1996):you had me at hello.
She will like it because it has a romance built into it and with lines like “you complete me,” she will be glued to her seat waiting for more.
He will like it because it molds romance and sports together graciously; it’s one of Tom Cruises best performances and a great film.
6. Mean Girls (2004): Yes this is a cliche teen flick; however, it's a well written cliche teen flick. You will both like it because it's relatable and honest and the main characters are easy on the eyes if you need something like that to get you through it.
7. Say Anything (1989): John Cusack. Need I say more? Ladies love his baby face and guys love the classic lady getter. The guy is just plain cool and always has been; this movie is more than a classic.
She will love it for its simplicity and ability to show men can have a soft side.
He will love it because it shows sometimes perseverance pays off, even if you have to wear a khaki trench and play love songs outside her window.
8.Legends of the Fall (1994): The epic tale of three brothers amidst sex, nature, war, death and drama.
He will like this because Anthony Hopkins gives this movie a great balance, the heroine played by Julia Ormand is plain sexy and there are immaculate bloody war scenes, intense sex, an interesting bear wrestle, a lot of violence as well as great depictions of nature.
She will like this because, again, Brad Pitt is at his prime and the tragically romantic love story is enough to make anyone get frosty eyed.
9. Meet Joe Black (1998):Despite the instant brain indicator that says “chick flick alert,” this is a very well acted movie.
She will enjoy the father daughter story that many girls can relate to as well as the splash of romance.
He will enjoy the great story line, because it is an impressive film and there is a pretty good death scene in the beginning.
10.Blue Crush (2002): Get past the terrible acting and you have a movie that involves sports, hot girls and romance.
She will love it because it's a girl power type movie and the main character ends up with a brooding man.
He will love it because there are hot girls in bikini's surfing and frolicking around. Don’t act like you don’t like to look at that every now and then.
Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/jessicadruck