Skip to main content

See also:

Chicago violence: 14 killed, 82 shot over Independence Day weekend

Chicago violence riddles the Independence Day weekend on 2014
Chicago violence riddles the Independence Day weekend on 2014

Over a 13-hour period of time, from 2:30 p.m. on Sunday to 3:30 on Monday morning, there were at least 30 people shot in Chicago. Of the 30 persons known to have been shot in the city’s continual gun violence, 4 of the persons died. Several of those shot who survived remain in critical condition, according to a Chicago Tribune report on Monday morning.

Quite incredibly, the statistics from those 13 hours on Sunday afternoon into Monday’s early morning hours brought the Independence Day weekend to huge total of shootings within the city’s limits. During the entire holiday weekend which extended to 84 hours from 3:30 p.m. on Thursday through 3:30 a.m. on Monday morning, there were 14 persons killed in Chicago. At least 82 people were shot during that 84-hour period.

Of the deadly shootings, the last shooting during the holiday weekend period appears to have happened on the South Side of Chicago. At 2:20 a.m. on Monday, a 24-year-old man was shot to death at 84th Street and Buffalo Avenue in The Bush neighborhood. The man’s body was found in the middle of the 8400 south block with several gunshot wounds. Authorities with the Chicago Police Department think the gunman came from a gangway and started shooting. The victim, Joey Henderson, lived on the 8400 block of Buffalo according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. He was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital on Monday morning.

Other deadly shots rang out over night in the Morgan Park neighborhood on the Far South Side at 12:30 a.m. when a woman was killed. Prior to that, a man was who was shot at 9:05 p.m. on Friday at 116th Street and Stewart Avenue in the West Pullman neighborhood on the Far South Side died. In the Austin neighborhood, close to the Lake Street and Laramie Avenue intersection, two people were shot at approximately 5:40 p.m. One of those persons died shortly after the shooting incident. ABC News reports that the deadly Independence Day weekend’s first shooting occurred at 2:30 a.m. on Friday.