Before you reach for that Angel Soft bathroom tissue or Brawny paper towels, take a moment and ask yourself why?
I usually write about environmental issues affecting the South side of Chicago. However, some issues are bigger than just the Southside. I thought it important to let you know about a company that not only violates numerous environmental laws, it has also plead guilty to covering them up.
According to Repower America and the Department of Justice, Koch Industries or Koch Brothers or Americans for Prosperity (they are all the same):
- has paid $25 million dollars in fines for stealing oil from public and tribal lands (CBS News);
- is one of the top 10 toxic air polluters in the United States, releasing more than 33 million pounds of toxic chemicals into the air in 2006 (Political Economy Research Institute);
- are responsible for over 300 oil spills in the U.S. and has leaked 3 million gallons of crude oil into fisheries and drinking waters (EPA);
- has spent more than $48.5 billion from 1997 to 2008 funding climate science opposition groups (Greenpeace);
- are best known as part of a family that has repeatedly funded stealth attacks on the federal government and on the Obama Administration in particular.
- are longtime libertarians who believe in drastically lower personal and corporate taxes and minimal social services for the needy.
I am not telling you how to spend your money but it wouldn’t be fair of me if I didn’t let you know who you’re making richer.