The National Park Service has listed Chicago’s Berger Park in the National Register of Historic Places. Two of Berger Park’s early 1900 lakeside mansions are the few remaining structures in this community. Berger Park, 6205-6247 N. Sheridan Road in Chicago, was acquired in the 1930s after the city’s twenty-two park commissions were consolidated into the Chicago Park District.
Some of this acreage includes the Joseph Downey House, now known as the Berger Park South Mansion, and its coach house. This mansion was built in 1906 and designed by architect William Carbys Zimmerman.
Also included in the acreage is the Samuel Gunder House, now known as the North Lakeside Cultural Center, and its coach house. This mansion was originally built in 1910 and designed by architect Myron Church.
Both of these two-and-a-half story mansions were designed in the American Four Square style, featuring a square floor plan, off-center entrance, hipped roof, and central front dormers.