When an individual, speculator or company purchased land in Chicago in 1843, the city was recovering from the Panic of 1837, but future real estate success seemed assured. The restarting of construction on the Illinois and Michigan Canal sparked land sales. Private and federal dredging of the Chicago Harbor increased shipping on Lake Michigan. And, the road between Detroit and Chicago once again brought settlers. The dawn of the railroad also promised renewed prosperity.
The Chicago City Directory of 1843 listed three land agents. At that time, the title “realtor” was not used. The National Association of Real Estate Boards (NAREB) approved that title for its members in 1917.
The first listing in the directory was for Henry W. Clarke. His general land office was located on Clark Street, opposite the City Saloon. His services included service in the payment of taxes in Illinois and Wisconsin. He also assisted with the “redemption of land sold for taxes, etc., etc.”
The second listing was for Ogden & Jones, Northwestern Land Agency. Their general land agency office was on Kinzie Street, east of North Dearborn. Their full names were William B. Ogden, the former first mayor of Chicago, and William E. Jones.
The third listing was for J. B. F. Russell. It announced the establishment of an office for the “transaction of general land agency” in Chicago, but no address was provided. His services included “payment of taxes, purchase, or sale of lands, lots etc., etc.”
Applications to purchase land were filed at the U.S. General Land Office in 1843 by the applicant or his agent. The application included the date filed, the name and residence of the applicant, a legal description of the land and its acreage.
Enlighten your life with history.
Use this link to become an Examiner. http://exm.nr/NDivQU .