Chicago Chili Photograph by Jonathon Weber
Brrrrrrrr it is cold outside. Chicago has some very cold winters, so you have to do things to warm up. This Chicago chili will do just that. It is a four bean chili that you can spice to your choice of hotness. This awesome, warming meal is perfect to cook and enjoy with your sweetheart.
What you need:
One pound of ground beef (its better to use 93% lean to cut down on grease)
One can of each of the following; dark red kidney beans, light red kidney beans, black beans, and pinto beans
Two cans of diced tomatoes (chili ready)
Chili spice packs (one regular and one spicy hot, add to taste)
Crackers and cheddar cheese
Step by step:
- The first thing you do is brown the meat in a skillet.
- While that is cooking open all the cans and pour them into your large pot.
- Add two cans of water
- Now that your meat is brown, add it to the pot. Use something that will strain the grease from the meat
- Next, dice up the onion and it to the chili. (beware Chicago area winter onions are very potent, you will cry many tears).
- Finally add the spices. Add the regular and 1/3 to 1/2 of the hot package, or to your taste.
- Bring the chili to slow boil. Then simmer for an hour to two hours.
- Top with shredded cheese and crackers and ENJOY!
You can use the leftovers to make chili cheese fries or chili dogs.