The CFA Society of Chicago Presents:
Get Real – Diversified Commodities Investing
In recent years institutional and retail investors have turned to commodities to provide diversification and inflation protection in their portfolios, as well as a source of return. Investors have multiple methods for gaining diversified exposure to the asset class including commodity futures, owning the equities of commodity producers, physical commodities, and the private equity market.
More recently, a proliferation of commodity indices has led to an influx of passive commodity investors. Many believe this influx has turned the risk/reward profile of commodity investing on its head.
The event explores the role of commodities in institutional and retail portfolios, the pros and cons of the various approaches to commodities investing, as well as the issues each present. This program isn't meant to be a discussion about the future price of any particular commodity, nor a primer on commodity futures trading strategies, but instead a focus on investing in commodities as an asset class.
Topics Discussed Include:
- Role of commodities and real assets in an investment portfolio including diversification, inflation protection, and as a return enhancer.
- Vehicles and structures available to commodity investors including index funds, ETF's, commodity futures, equities, LP's, etc.
- Pros and cons for the differing approaches to commodities investing.
- Active vs. passive, and how the growth of commodity index funds has impacted the commodity futures market.
- The impact of new regulations and laws governing the commodities futures market.
Jodie Gunzberg, CFA - Head of Commodity Indices, S&P Dow Jones Indices
Christopher Burton, CFA, FRM - Managing Director, Credit Suisse Asset Management
Mark D. Carlson, CFA - Senior Vice President, The Northern Trust Company
Hilary Till - Co-Founder and Principal, Premia Capital Management, LLC
Kevin Doonan - Vice President, Grosvenor Capital Management
Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Time: 3:30 - 4:00pm: Registration and Networking; 4:00 - 6:00pm: Program; 6:00 - 6:30pm: Informal Networking
Venue: Morningstar Building, 22 W. Washington Street, Chicago, 60602
For more information and registration click here
If you enjoyed this article, please click the “Subscribe” button above to receive alerts of future articles.