I found these cookies a couple of years ago in a Martha Stewart magazine, and made them for Christmas presents for family members that year. Of course, I ate many as I was creating the gifts, and the are absolutely delicious! These are my favorite cookies ever now, and they are fairly easy to make as well.
Recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 C dark brown sugar
- 1/4 C molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 1/2 tsp hot water
- 1/2 C chocolate chips
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
How to Make Chewy Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Cookies
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, and all of the spices. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and well combined. Add in the molasses and continue to mix until combined.
- Mix in the flour, in 2 batches, alternating with the baking soda mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer dough to a sheet of plastic wrap, pat down to 1" thick, wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or more.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2" balls, and stick back in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Roll the balls in the granulated sugar and bake until surfaces crack slightly, about 10-12 minutes.
Once cooled, they can be stored in an airtight container. Martha says for 5 days, but I would say a full week. Believe me, they won't be around longer than that - they are so delicious!
Magpies Cakes is hosting cookie classes for the holidays! Learn hands-on decorating techniques. Classes will be held on November 30th, December 7th, and December 14th. All classes are held from 6-7:30 p.m. Cost is $25 per adult, $40 per adult and child, and $20 per additional child. Call Ryan at 865-673-0471 to reserve your spot.