Cherry Blossom festivals and events are a popular way to welcome Spring. On the east coast in Washington D.C. the 'National Cherry Blossom Festival' will be held from March 20 - April 14, with the most blossoms expected between Mar 26 - 30. This celebration of the start of spring includes many events, in and around, the nation's capital.
Japan, another place, where cherry blossom festivals heralds the coming of spring and festivals there are events held all over the country, usually in March, but sometime into May. The viewing of the blossoms is a long tradition in Japan, dating back to the Nara period ( ). Planning a visit to Japan in the Spring visit here to see a list of festivals.
For us in Southern California, the Cherry Blossom Festival in La Canada is easier to get to and just as beautiful. Between Mar 23 and 24, at the Descanso Gardens, La Canada Flintridge, there will be a celebration of Japanese culture and the beautiful cherry blossom trees. Descanso Gardens has a long history of featuring Japanese culture and a special Japanese garden where the festival will take place with many events on both days.
1. a traditional Japanese tea cermony will be at 11 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. on Saturday;
2. a Japanese cooking demonstration on Sunday at 11 a.m.;
3. guided tours through the flowering cherry trees, both days at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
4. cocktails created especially for the festival will be on sale in the Camellia Lounge, as well as Japanese cuisine, on both days
5. the traditional art of paper folding from an 'Origami' master, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. on Saturday
6. Saturday and Sunday between 2:30 p.m. - 5 p.m. the Japanese Director "Akira Kurosawa's " classic film 'Rashomon' tells the story of a woodcutter, a thief, a young woman and a samurai who meet by an ancient gate among the cherry blossoms. Come see it for yourself and learn the rest in the 'Under the Oaks Theater', Mar 23 and 24.
Admission to the Descanso Gardens is $8 for adults; $6 for students and seniors; and $3 for children 5 - 12 years. There is no additional charge to attend any of the Cherry Blossoms events in the gardens at 1418 Descanso Drive, La Cañada Flintridge
Reference all the events in the Descanso Gardens here