After all the holiday foods and drinks, there is nothing better than making and eating comfort food. Tamale pie fits the bill, and is simple to prepare.
You can substitute ground turkey or vegetarian meat crumbles for the ground beef. If you have a child who is picky about eating vegetables, add frozen corn or mixed vegetables to the ground beef mixture.
Recipe: Tamale Pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with 1/2 can water
- 1 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups corn meal, divided
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Over medium high flame, heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and red pepper to the pan, stirring occasionally, cook 3-5 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
- Add the garlic, cook about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef, chili powder, salt, and cumin to the pan, stirring to mix well.
- Brown the beef, then add the tomatoes and half can of water, and the olives.
- Spoon about half the ground beef mixture into a large, deep casserole.
- Sprinkle half of the cornmeal evenly over the ground beef.
- Top the cornmeal with the remaining ground beef, then sprinkle the the remaining cornmeal over the top.
- Spread the cheese evenly over the entire top of the cornmeal.
- Bake the tamale pie for 45-50 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)