According to what seems to be the newly-minted gospel according to Charlie Rangel, it appears Republicans can look forward to an eternity in hell for opposing big government, Social Security and food stamps. In a video posted Monday by the National Review Online, Rangel, a Democratic House member from New York, made the statement while appearing on MSNBC with Ed Schultz.
The video starts with Schultz proclaiming that his faith leader allegedly told him there's no scripture to support any votes being taken by Republicans.
A smiling Rangel was all too happy to bash Republicans, claiming that the pope heard Schultz's declaration.
He went on to say that House Republicans can no longer take the moral and spiritual high ground due to their opposition to government benefits like Social Security and food stamps.
“Anyone who is familiar with the Bible -- anything like that,” Rangel said, should know that “Jesus said you’re going straight to Hell if you don’t treat the lesser of his brothers and sisters” with compassion.
“He said he was hungry, you didn’t give him food stamps … He was thirsty, you didn’t purify the water … he said he was naked, you didn’t give him Social Security,” he added.
We searched the Bible and found no reference to food stamps or Social Security.
"A handful of people who drank the kool-aid is ruining the country," Rangel preached.
The New York Democrat told Schultz that he hoped and prayed this is the beginning of a "new era."
Perhaps this is what MSNBC meant when it said that it's becoming what "progressives have been waiting for."
Demonizing Republicans with little or no basis in fact is nothing new for the network, or Rangel.
Assuming the mantle of the almighty and consigning Republicans to hell is also nothing new for liberals.
During the 2010 midterm election, for example, Joy Behar declared that Nevada senate candidate Sharron Angle was going to the bad place for an ad that attacked Harry Reid over illegal immigration.
Newsbusters' Ken Shepherd said Schultz opened the Sept. 23 edition of his program with a montage featuring "Burning Down the House" by The Talking Heads.
- Joy Behar says Sharron Angle "going to hell"
- MSNBC tosses objectivity, says it's what 'progressives have been waiting for'
- MSNBC still network of insane liberal hate
- Is MSNBC good for America?
- Liberalism: An ideology of rage and hate
- MSNBC host challenges Tagg Romney to fist fight 'anytime, anywhere'
- MSNBC's O'Donnell attacks Bill O'Reilly, Fox News, Fox viewers
- Rush Limbaugh: MSNBC loony bin of uncontrollable rage and anger
- Yes, Virginia, there is a Democrat-media complex
- Pundit for MSNBC, CNN, arrested after vandalizing anti-jihad poster in New York
- MSNBC's Karen Finney apologizes after calling conservatives 'crazy crackers'
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to "Grit and Grace" every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.