Charlie Hunnam and Dakota Johnson — thousands of “Fifty Shades of Grey” fans around the world were stunned to finally hear these names as part of confirmed news surrounding the casting of Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele in the “Fifty Shades of Grey” movie yesterday, the Hollywood Reporter shared this Monday, Sept 2. Here is a little history on these two film leads who will be gracing the silver screen as the iconic characters from EL James’ bestselling novel.
Charlie Hunnam, though not considered an A-list actor, has some definite experience in front of the camera prior to the Christian Grey role. Hunnam is likely most known for his role in “Sons of Anarchy,” the popular FX drama. He also made a starring performance in “Pacific Rim” on the big screen this summer. In terms of his history away from film and the upcoming “Fifty Shades of Grey” movie, the soon-to-be CEO is known for his solid body, health focus, and in-depth workouts.
Dakota Johnson has some acting chops to her resume as well. The young starlet was a character in “Ben & Kate” on FOX before getting cancelled. She also had a couple featured roles on the big screen as well, appearing in “21 Jump Street” and “The Social Network” — a key link that connects Anastasia Steele with former “Network” and now “Fifty Shades of Grey” producers Dana Brunetti and Michael De Luca.
To prepare for the casting news, here’s a little history and some details on both Charlie Hunnam and Johnson before they become THE Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele.
• Dakota Johnson, 23, is no newcomer to celebrity status. Her famous parents are Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith.
• Charlie Hunnam, 33, comes from across the pond in England — much like the author, screenwriter, and “Fifty Shades of Grey” movie director before him are not native Americans — and has a history of film degree from Cumbria college. What’s better than an educated Christian Grey, after all?
• Dakota Johnson served as a second-generation Miss Golden Globe back in 2006, marking her as the first-ever woman to take on the role in the 2nd generation. Talk about beauty and class.
• Charlie Hunnam has appeared on several widely distributed magazines shirtless, sharing details on his workout regimes and healthy eating options to keep that fit upper body in shape.
• Hunnam isn’t just an actor alongside Dakota Johnson — he’s also acted as an aspiring screenwriter and sold a script, “Vlad”, back in 2009 to Summit Entertainment.
With Charlie Hunnam and Dakota Johnson as our respective Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele in tow, now the question that remains is: who do you want to see as the supporting cast?
For those who want an explanation with casting, producer Brunetti recently released a statement for his casting choices via Twitter. Are you happy with your two leads, fellow “Fifty Shades of Grey” fans?
To stay up-to-date on the latest breaking “Fifty Shades of Grey” movie news and casting details, please feel welcome to follow Ryan on his community “50 Shades” Facebook page here and on Twitter. Thank you.