Thinking of changing your look for the New Year? Nick Penna, creative director of Boston-based Be Styled, a blowdry lounge, shared five sexy looks plus styling tricks with your LA Beauty Products Examiner. A veteran stylist and regular NYC Fashion Week contributor to shows such as Jason Wu and Betsey Johnson, Nick really knows how to coif up styles:
Be Swirly girly (tousled effortless waves)
- This classy look is the perfect way to spice up your hair routine. To begin, start with hair smooth and completely blown out
- With a 1 1/2 inch curling iron, curl each section in the desired direction
- Hold hair with fingers and wrap around the barrel
- As you work toward the front of the face, work the curling iron back off the face for a framing effect
When finished, lightly brush or use fingers to stretch curls to create an "imperfect" and naturally curly
Be Sleek (classic, straight look)
- At Be Styled, we call this look the "be sleek." Begin by applying Kerastase Fondant Nutri-Thermique to wet hair from mid-shaff to ends before starting to blowdry
- Section hair into a deep side part and start blowdrying in sections using a round brush, start at the back of the neck and work your way to the front creating a smooth and straight look
- To finish, use Kerastase Double Force hairspray to hold the part and sleek look into place
Swank it up (sculptured and glossy waves)
- Start with damp hair and apply a volumizing mouse — I'd suggest the Mousse Bouffante from Kerastase. A deep side part is one of the hottest looks of the holiday season so to begin, grab a wide tooth comb and create a deep side part that best suites you then blowdry as normal. Be sure to add a little bit of volume while blowdrying and make sure to keep it smooth and sleek near the root!
- Once that is complete, begin to wrap small sections of hair around a one or two-inch curling iron, but make sure to curl only the bottom 3-4 inches of hair (depending on your hair length).
- After you are done curling, bring your locks to the side furthest from your part and use bobby pins to pin middle sections of the hair to the nape of your neck.
- To keep the look in place, I'd finish with the Laque Dentelle from Kerastase and voila — you are holiday party-ready!
Get Soft (straight with bend at the ends)
- At BeStyled we call this look “be soft” due to the effortless look. To begin, use apply a small amount of the Kerastase Mousse Bouffante from roots to ends.
- Start blowdrying using a medium round brush, parting into small sections and holding the nozzle up to create volume.
- Once you complete the blowdry, use a 1 1Ž2 curling iron and curl hair in quarter inch sections – use fingers to loosen up the curls for the rocker sleek look
- Finish with Kerastase Double Force hairspray to keep the look in place
Tousle that chignon
- “Rake” your hair with your fingers, brushing it back into a low ponytail and secure with an elastic band.
- Grab the ponytail and begin to coil it with one hand into a bun at the back of your head.
- Secure the coiled hair with bobby pins as you wrap.
- Take any loose strands of hair and wrap them back around the bun and tub, securing with more bobby pins. The chignon is meant to look imperfect!
Make your blowdry last longer
- While in the chair, ask for volume – Let’s face it, the bigger the hair, the better! Don’t be shy to ask for additional volume, it will be worth it by day three when your blowdry is still flawless!
- Avoid tight hair ties – Don’t put your hair up in a ponytail with a tight band because it will cause a crease in your hair. If you must put your hair up, use a large clip and clasp it on top of your head, or a soft tie.
- Avoid moisture – Humidity and water can be the ultimate destroyers for blowouts. When you shower, be sure to use a shower cap to keep the moisture away.
- Dry shampoo = best friend – Don’t be afraid to apply a generous amount! My favorite product is Powder Bluff by Kerastase - try it! This spray helps absorb oil for long-lasting blowdrys. It’s an instant style refresher and smells amazing!
- Don’t touch your hair – We know how fabulous a blowdry feels once complete, however, let the stunning style set and don’t mess with it! Touching it too much will accumulate oil and can make your blowdry fall flat.
Thinking about braids? Check out the Rachel Zoe video you might think twice. Or not.