On Feb. 9 Miami Herald announces that a celebrity boxing match between George Zimmerman and DMX has been canceled after the promoter, Damon Feldman started receiving death threats over the match. Feldman tweeted earlier this week, "Done with George Zimmerman if you had a major payday sitting in front of you, I know no one else would walk away like I did ***Next!!"
The match would have pitted the acquitted killer, George Zimmerman against the trash-talking rapper DMX, however, his agent says that he never agreed to the match so it won't be a conflict in his concert schedule. Feldman started getting death threats on all platforms of social media after the fight was announced on Wednesday, Trayon Martin's birthday.
The fight was originally scheduled for March 1 then changed to March 15 before being canceled all together. Reverand Al Sharpton, the creator of the "Cancel George Zimmerman's 'Celebrity' Boxing Match" Facebook page, and civil rights advocate says that there would be complications and backlash from glorifying Zimmerman in any fashion. Because of all the threats made, Feldman had to get a bodyguard because he didn't know if they were real or not.
Some are very upset over this cancellation, namely billionaire Alki David because he backed the fight and was planning on televising it on his FilmOn.com online television service.
It seems as if canceling the fight, overall, was the best move to be made, considering lives were being threatened and associating with George Zimmerman in any fashion has serious implications that haven't gone over well for anyone involved.