With today being National Mushroom Day. it seemed appropriate to spotlight this versatile fungi. The weather is getting a bit cooler now, so soup was a natural choice. The combination of the mushrooms and rich, creamy milk will leave you with a warm, satisfied feeling. This soup pairs famously with a grilled cheese sandwich. Try a nutty gruyere cheese and sliced mushrooms if you'd like to stick with a theme.
Creamy mushroom soup
1/2 lb button mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
1 shallot, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp watercress, leaves only (no stems) chopped
2 cups milk
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
Salt and pepper
- Add olive oil to a saute pan. Heat to medium high.
- Add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes
- Add shallot and garlic, saute for 2 -3 minutes until garlic begins to brown
- Remove the veg from the frying pan and put it aside
- Add butter to stock pan, put over medium heat
- When butter is melted, whisk in flour until smooth
- Heat over medium for 2-3 minutes until the flour begins to brown slightly
- Add in stock, whisking to combine.
- Once a paste has formed, add the milk, then stir to combine.
- Salt and pepper liberally
- Add veg back into the pan, stir to combine
- Test for seasoning (add salt and pepper if necessary)
- Pour mixture into a heat safe blender or food processor.
- Process until mushrooms, shallots and garlic are pureed.
- Serve with grilled cheese.