The holiday of Cinco de Mayo means different things to many people. At Casa de Cuisine, it means time to spend with good friends, having a good time and eating some wonderful foods to pay homage to the fine culinary heritage of Mexico. Whether it be sweet or savory; whether it be grilled or baked; whether it be spicy or tame, one thing is always for certain, Cinco de Mayo will always be tasty!
You're going to look at this recipe and think "uh-oh, the Chef's been sneaking shots of tequila!" Hey, it's Cinco de Mayo so why not! Yes, this dish has two different types of chili peppers but surprisingly enough, this is not a hot dish. It does have some zing to it, but nothing you can't handle. One of the reasons why it isn't as hot as it could be is the way we prepare the peppers. We remove the seeds and membrane and this is where most of the heat is located.
Ingredients needed to make Spicy Red Snapper with Chili and Corn (serves 4):
- 4 red snapper fillets
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 red jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and julienned
- 2 Serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded and julienned
- ½ cup sherry
- Take your red snapper fillets and run your finger over the middle and upper portions of the body. If you feel any bones, simply pull them out and discard.
- In a shallow dish whisk the eggs, whipping cream and Tabasco sauce.
- In another shallow dish whisk together the flour, salt, black pepper and cumin.
- Dip each fillet into the egg wash and then dredge in the flour mixture, shaking off all excess flour. Set the fillets aside 10 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the red snapper fillets and sauté until golden on each side (about 7 minutes per side).
- Remove the fish to a platter and keep warm.
- Into the skillet add the butter. Once the butter has melted add the corn, onion, tomatoes and both peppers and sauté 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sherry. Place the pan back onto the heat, add the fish, cover the pan and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove the red snapper fillets from the pan and place on a platter. Spoon the sauce and vegetables around the fish and serve.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."