I should advise you that this is not your typical frozen custard or ice cream type of dish. This one does take a little time as with the addition of one cup of Kahlua, it needs some time to set and freeze (about 24 hours). There is this belief that frozen desserts can not be created if the Chef uses alcohol. Well, I do love proving people wrong and I will with this dessert.
The secret to getting alcohol to "firm" up is in how you use it. With this dish, you want to add the Kahlua after 20 minutes of the custard churning as this will mean the custard has an airy texture (you will notice it expands as it churns) and this makes it easier for the alcohol to freeze as it has less mass to cling to (yes, I have simplified the process for general understanding). Then after you have added the Kahlua and have churned it 5 more minutes, you freeze it for 24 hours and the final result is an incredible smoothness with the always classy taste of Kahlua.
To make the dessert even dreamier, pour a little Kahlua over the top right before serving.
Ingredients needed to make Kahlua Frozen Custard (Makes about 4 cups):
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 Tbs. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup Kahlua
- Into a medium sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together the milk, cream and 1/2 cup of sugar. Cook just until the mixture begins to boil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, remaining sugar, vanilla and salt until the mixture turns pale
- Whisk half of the cream mixture into the yolk mixture.
- Lower the heat under the sauce pan to low and whisk the egg mixture into the cream.
- Using a wooden spoon (yes, this is important) stir the mixture until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture into a glass bowl.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator and chill 2 hours.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn 20 minutes (if you don't have an electric machine then follow the manufacturers instructions).
- Add the Kahlua and churn an additional 5 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into a freezer proof container and freeze at least 24 hours before serving.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."