To truly experience the wondrous joy of Chinese New Year (this year being the Year of the Horse), one must surround themselves with color, joy, laughter and great food. You don't have to be Chinese to celebrate this festive time of the year and many cities across American will be holding parades to honor the Year of the Horse during the 15-day celebration. Personally, I can't think of a better way of celebrating than with some classic dishes from China (real Chinese food, not Americanized Chinese food).
This is one of my favorite Asian salads because it is both sweet and spicy and to top it off, it has that great crunch and the taste of raw beansprouts. The sweetness of the salad comes from the hoisin sauce (which you can find in the Asian section of your local market). The spicy comes from the Chinese hot chili oil (be careful with this, it is very hot). This is really what a salad is all about -- various tastes, textures and freshness.
If you like shrimp and the exotic tastes of Asia, then Asian Sizzling Shrimp Salad with Sesame Seeds will make this a Chinese New Year to remember!
Ingredients needed to make Asian Sizzling Shrimp Salad with Sesame Seeds (serves 2):
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled
- 1 tsp. Chinese chili oil
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly lengthwise)
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- beansprouts (amount depends on you)
- Rinse the shrimp under cold running water. Pat dry and set aside.
- In a wok or saute pan over medium high heat, combine the chili oil, sesame oil and olive oil.
- Carefully add the shrimp to the wok and stir-fry 3 minutes.
- Into the wok add the hoisin sauce and soy sauce and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add the green onions and sesame seeds and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan and place upon a mound of beansprouts and serve.
The internationally bestselling cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in it's third printing and available worldwide in both hard cover and e-book versions. The paperback version will be released March 4, 2014.