But first, get this on your calendar:
Saturday, May 17 – Tapas, Wine Talk and Tasting Class
Spanish chef Ana Ruíz Cruelles will demonstrate how to prepare tapas using regional ingredients such as smoky Pimentón de la Vera, extra virgin olive oil from native Extremadura varieties, torta cheese, calabacita figs, fresh almonds and aged Extremadura-style red wine vinegar.
- Three seatings: 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Includes special selections from the featured Pasta Shop Extremadura menu, paired with regional wines, a tapas demonstration and recipes.
- $20/adults, $10/children (must be 21 for wine pairings)
- Rockridge Market Hall only - 5655 College Avenue – Oakland
- Reservations - seating is limited - call 510 250-6033, or stop by the cheese counter at either Pasta Shop store.
Plus, all day Saturday and Sunday, both Pasta Shop stores will be sampling Extremadura’s olive oil, vinegar, cheese, almonds, figs, Jamón Ibérico, Pimentón de la Vera -- and more – with tastings and individual cooking demonstrations.
Extremadura -- the ancient breadbasket of the Roman empire – is where the new generation of cutting-edge Basque and Catalan Spanish chefs sourced their ingredients as they led Spanish food into the spotlight of world cuisines. Both Pasta Shop stores will showcase, sample, and demonstrate these legendary foods through the end of May. Stop by to be inspired.
And: enter to win gift certificates, and more! Grand prize, is dinner for two at Oakland’s popular Duende restaurant, a stylish new tapas and dinner restaurant and music venue.
It’s all the pleasure and excitement of discovering new flavors and a new cuisine without having to renew your passport.
- Sandwich with Jamón Serrano & Manchego
- Fried Rice Balls with Peas, served with aioli
- Marinated Squid Salad
- Tortilla with Jamon, Manchego & Olives
- Pimentón-Rubbed Pork Loin, served with aioli
- Chickpeas with Chorizo & Greens
- Asparagus with Tomato Almond Sauce
- Mixed Greens, Eggs, Olives & Capers with Sherry Vinaigrette
- Fig Cake