With President’s Day upon us, I quote the words attributed to George Washington, our first president of the United States, “I cannot tell a lie. I chopped down that cherry tree.” While we can’t be sure he actually uttered these words, we can be sure to make a fabulous cherry cobbler in honor of President’s Day.
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup water
- 12 ounces of frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- ½ cup 2% milk
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon.
- Pour in the water and stir until smooth.
- Add the cherries and butter.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish; set aside.
- For topping, in a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Drop by spoonfuls over the cherries; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream!