March is National Peanut Month! Did you know, according to the National Peanut Board;
- It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.
- There are enough peanuts in one acre to make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.
- By law, any product labeled "peanut butter" in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts.
- Americans were first introduced to the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup in 1928.
- Peanut butter was the secret behind "Mr. Ed," TV's talking horse.
- The average American consumes more than six pounds of peanuts and peanut butter products each year.
- The average child will eat 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before he or she graduates high school.
- Americans consume on average over 1.5 billion pounds of peanut butter and peanut products each year.
- Peanut butter is consumed in 90 percent of USA households.
That’s a lot of Peanut’s! Virginia has been growing peanuts since the early 1840’s. To help celebrate National Peanut Month, here are a few places where you can pick up some of Virginia’s peanuts!
Check back the rest of this month, for some great peanut recipes and ideas to celebrate! Enjoy!