If you love brownie and cream cheese then today is your day, with the combination of the two swirled in for National Cream Cheese Brownie Day. This decadent bar that is a rich moist cake consistency cut in squares swirled in with cream cheese gives this brownie a fun look, and a creamy taste.
Brownies date back to the 1800's and was first documented in Boston Cooking School Cook in 1906. When brownies were first created they contained far less chocolate, then we use now. At that time there was no real variation to the brownie as we have today.
Currently brownies come in a variety of flavors such as: brownie with walnuts, caramel, peanut butter, cherries, peppermint and of course of our favorite one of the day cream cheese in honor of National Cream Cheese Day.
The combination of the cream cheese and brownie gives an added richness to the brownie, and the cream cheese kicks it up a notch with the tangy bite cream cheese flavor.
The collaboration of the two flavors of chocolate and cream makes this a sweet heavenly dessert; not to mention the colors of brown and off white swirled in as a design gives the brownie an elegant flair.
Enjoy National Cream Cheese Brownie Day with the recipe below. Go ahead and make your family, this special treat in honor of this day.
Cream Cheese Brownie
• 4 oz of unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
• ½ cup of unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
• 1 ¼ cup of white sugar
• ¼ cup of brown sugar
• ½ of fresh vanilla bean
• 1 tsp. of pure vanilla extract
• 2 large eggs
• ½ cup of all purpose flour
• ¼ salt
Cream Cheese Layer
• 8 oz of cream cheese, softened
• 1/3 cup of white sugar
• 1 large egg
• ½ tsp. of pure vanilla extract
• ½ of fresh vanilla bean
1. Preheat oven to 325 F and place rack in the center of the oven. Have a 9in pan lined with parchment paper.
2. In a double boiler method place chocolate with butter to melt. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar and vanillas. Add eggs, one at a time, thoroughly beating well after each addition.
3. Stir in flour and salt vigorously until the batter smooth and shiny (for 1-2 minutes).
4. Remove ½ cup of the brownie batter and put aside. Spread the rest of the brownie batter evenly in the prepared pan.
5. Smooth cream cheese using a mixer, add the sugar, vanillas, and egg and mix until creamy and smooth.
6. Spread cream cheese filling over brownie layer in pan. Spoon 16 dollops (4 rows with 4 dollops of brownie batter in each row).
7. Take the rest of the brownie batter pour evenly over cream cheese filling and run a knife back and forth between the two batters to give it a marble effect.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes (brownies should be set and cream cheese should be getting a little brown.
9. Remove from oven when done and place on wire rack to cool.
10. Cover and refrigerate the brownie until they are firm for cutting into square (refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight.)
11. Once firm from being in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Remove the brownie from the pan by lifting parchment paper and transferring to a cutting board.
12. With a sharp knife cut into 16 square pieces or 24 pieces if you want mini brownies. * Note you should have a damp cloth on hand so you can wipe your knife after each cut so the brownies can be cut seamlessly.