Mom's: They always have a soft shoulder for you to cry on; they always have time to ease your worries; when you're down they have the natural ability to bring you right back up. Any woman can be a mother but it takes a special lady to be a Mom!
This year tell your Mom how much you love her by preparing a very special dinner in her honor. Take some time to give her a memory she will never forget and a day she will cherish for the rest of her life. This is one of the dishes I recommend and prepared for my Mom many times on her special day. To see the smile on her face and the gleam in her eyes when I set this plates on the table are memories I will never forget.
This is indeed elegant, yet very simple to prepare and I guarantee you will find nothing better or more appealing from any restaurant you might be thinking of taking her to this Mothers Day. Make this day for Mom even more special by making it personal.
And to all the Mom's out there, I truly hope you have an exceptional Mothers Day filled with love, laughter and unadulterated joy!
Ingredients needed for Asparagus Maltaise (serves 4):
- 24 spears of asparagus
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tbs. dry sherry
- 1 Tbs. heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 4 slices French bread, crust removed and bread toasted
- Into a pot of boiling water add the asparagus and cook just until tender (time depends on the size of the spears). Drain the asparagus and discard the cooking water.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks, dry sherry, heavy cream, salt and cayenne pepper until smooth.
- In a small saute pan or skillet over low heat, add the egg mixture and whisk until thickened. Whisk in the butter and orange zest until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pre-heat your broiler.
- Place the slices of French Bread onto a baking sheet. Arrange the asparagus atop the bread and spoon some sauce over the spears.
- Place under the broiler and broil just until the tops begin to brown.
- Remove to a serving plate and wait about 5 minutes before serving.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."