Cinco de Mayo, May 5th, is celebrated in Mexico and in the United States. It is a holiday that celebrates Mexican culture and heritage. For this Cinco de Mayo try these delicious recipes with your children. They are sure to be a hit and your kids can easily help you make them. You can have a fiesta for dinner at home. For dinner try the Chicken Fajita Melts, it is a non messy way to enjoy traditional fajitas with your children. For a tasty Mexican drink, try the Agua de Fresca (Strawberry Water), it is a popular drink in Mexico.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken
- breast halves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced onions
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup salsa
- 8 (1/2 inch thick) slices French bread
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, and cook and stir until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the sliced onions and red peppers, and cook and stir for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the tomato juice and taco seasoning, and mix well. Cook mixture until the juice has thickened and the chicken is well coated with sauce, about an additional 7 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
4. Spread 2 tablespoons of salsa over each slice of French bread. Evenly spoon the chicken mixture on top of the salsa topped bread. Sprinkle each sandwich with 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese.
5. Place sandwiches under the preheated broiler and cook for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- 4 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup white sugar
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges (optional)
- 8 fresh mint sprigs (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, mix together sliced strawberries, sugar, and 1 cup of water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
2. Remove the strawberry mixture from the refrigerator and pour into a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Pour the blended berry mixture through a wire mesh strainer set over a large mixing bowl; discard the pulp and seeds.
3. Add the remaining 7 cups cold water to the pureed strawberries and mix well. Place the Aqua de Fresa in the refrigerator to chill for several hours or pour over ice and serve immediately. Garnish with lime slices or mint leaves.