One of the great Valentine's Day traditions is taking that special someone you love out to dinner to a fine restaurant and enjoying a romantic dinner. With the way the economy is today, this isn't quite feasible. So this year instead of going out, enjoy a romantic dinner at home with some one of the romantic classics from Casa de Cuisine!
Salmon Balsamico is indeed a very special meal, yet it is also a very simple dish to prepare. You do want to make sure you are using quality salmon, meaning wild salmon and not farm-raised salmon, which is injected with fake coloring to give it that famed orange-ish salmon hue. You also want to make sure your balsamic vinegar is of high quality. Poorly processed balsamic vinegar is very acidic and can ruin the taste of the dish. True, balsamic vinegar is not too cheap but you must remember that a little goes a long way.
Ingredients needed to make Salmon Balsamico de Modena (serves 2):
- 2 salmon fillets
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 green onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- Using a paper towel wipe the salmon fillets of any moisture.
- Brush the flesh side of the salmon with some of the olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining olive oil into a medium saute pan or skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add the salmon, skin-side down and saute 7 minutes. Turn the salmon over and saute 2 minutes (of course you can adapt these times to suit your taste).
- Remove the salmon from the pan and keep warm.
- Into the pan, which will have some oil in it from the salmon, add the shallots, green onions and garlic and saute 2 minutes.
- Add the Balsamic vinegar and cook 2 minutes (yes, about 1/2 of it will evaporate).
- Spoon the sauce over the salmon and serve.
The internationally bestselling cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in it's third printing and available worldwide in both hard cover and e-book versions. The paperback version will be released March 4, 2014.