The new year brings with it renewed goals of getting fit and staying fit. Part of these goals usually involves some kind of improvement in eating habits, but an improvement in eating habits does not always mean having to cut certain things, like dessert, out of one's diet completely. Take these Protein Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, for instance. The cookies are a sweet dessert but they are also packed with protein powder for that extra boost that will help the body get stronger. The cookies are thin and crispy and perfect for satisfying that sweet tooth without the associated guilt.
- 2 cups oats
- 1/4 cup protein powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 1/2 of the oats (1 cup) in a food processor, and grind until oats are ground into a flour. Combine with the rest of the oats, protein powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and beat for a minute. Add the vanilla and mix for another minute.
- Mix in the dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out teaspoon-sized balls of cookie dough. Place on the cookie sheet, about 3 inches apart (these cookies spread quite a bit). Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Yields approximately 30 cookies.