Life is not so good for CeeLo Green right now. The former mentor on NBC’s “The Voice” is the center of a media firestorm after he posted controversial statements about rape on his Twitter account over the weekend. And now there’s more bad news for Green. On Tuesday, Variety reported that his TBS reality series, “CeeLo Green’s The Good Life” has been axed.
The now deleted Twitter rant came after Green pleaded no contest on Friday to a 2012 felony count claiming he slipped ecstasy in a woman’s drink and then sexually assaulted her after she passed out. Green has maintained that the sexual act was consensual.
Following his courtroom plea, the Gnarls Barkley singer took to Twitter to spark a debate on the definition of rape, writing, "If someone is passed out they're not even WITH you consciously! so WITH implies consent … People who have really been raped REMEMBER!!!" He later posed this question to his shocked followers: "So if I tried but did NOT succeed but the person said I DID then what really happened?"
Green later posted an apology, tweeting on Tuesday: “I truly and deeply apologize for the comments attributed to me on Twitter. Those comments were idiotic, untrue and not what I believe.”
But his apology may not be accepted by everyone. In the aftermath of the controversy, the women's rights organization UltraViolet promptly posted a petition calling for TBS and Time Warner to cancel Green’s reality show. But a source told Variety that the show was already marked for cancellation after it completed its first season run earlier this year.
Still, it’s likely Green would have faced the cancellation fate if the series hadn’t already been earmarked for the axe. And it seems to be a trend. In June, Travel Channel host Adam Richman found himself in a similar social media situation after he showed off his 70-pound weight loss on Instagram and used a hashtag that’s used to describe eating disorders. When angry followers called him out for the controversial hashtag, Richman lashed out, even telling one user to “grab a razor and draw a bath.”
The “Man v Food” host later apologized for his “inexcusable” remarks, but his set-to-debut new Travel Channel show, “Man Finds Food” was pulled and has now been postponed indefinitely. Richman released an apology to ABC News, saying, his remarks were “inexcusable.”