“The president supports, as do an overwhelming majority of Americans, common-sense measures to reduce gun violence,” Carney said, parroting a familiar White House theme.
Even though Carney admitted it would be it would be “inappropriate” to talk gun control so soon after Monday's shooting, he said “we will continue to work to take action to improve gun safety, reduce gun violence in this country through executive action, and hopefully Congress will take action to reduce gun violence as well.”
Carney, The Blaze said, shied away from discussing gun control early in his remarks, but later vowed action.
“These are unfolding facts in an unfolding situation and investigation,” he said. “As the president said, the fact that this took place on a military installation, men and women who understand the risk when they are assigned overseas, certainly do not imagine they are taking those risks when they showed up for work this morning at a domestic military installation.”
“So it would be inappropriate to try to put in context something about which we have so few facts,” Carney added.
It was another Democrat -- Bill Clinton -- who insured that military bases would be gun-free zones.
Breitbart.com observed that one of Clinton's first acts was to disarm U.S. soldiers on military bases.
"Clinton's actions birthed Army regulations 'forbidding military personnel from carrying their personal firearms and making it almost impossible for commanders to issue firearms to soldiers in the U.S. for personal protection,'" AWR Hawkins wrote.
"In other words, thanks to Clinton, citizens who join the military to use guns to defend liberty abroad cannot practice their constitutional right to keep and bear arms while on active duty at home," Hawkins added.
Carney did not specify what executive actions Obama would take to further erode the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.
- MSNBC's Chris Matthews blames NRA for Navy Yard shooting
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein uses Navy Yard shooting to push gun control
- Henry Winkler politicizes Navy Yard shooting to promote gun control
- Gunman opens fire at Washington Navy Yard, at least ten people shot (Updated)
- Communist Party USA backs Obama gun grab, calls Second Amendment obsolete
- Actress Marg Helgenberger: 'One can only hope' NRA members are shot dead
- Legal immigrant on gun control: ‘Few saw the Third Reich coming until it was too late’
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- Liberals, media engage in propaganda to demonize law-abiding gun owners
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Newsbusters, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to "Grit and Grace" every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.