In 1907, Carnegie Museum of Natural History was added on to the original building of 1895. It was built for the sole purpose of housing a dinosaur that Andrew Carnegie, a Pittsburgh industrialist financed. He organized a dinosaur expedition prior to this in 1898 to a site in Wyoming where it was rumored that remains of a huge creature been discovered. After months of searching, the crew under the direction of paleontologist J.Wortman found a toe bone near Sheep Creek, Wyoming on July 4, 1899. This find lead to the discovery of a massive sauropod dinosaur named after Andrew Carnegie, Diplodocus carnegii. It took four years for the team to extract the massive long-necked creature.
In 1907 the Diplodocus carnegii made its Pittsburgh debut. The first for Pittsburgh and Dinosaur Hall. The public went wild and fell in love with this dinosaur. They affectionately named it "Dippy". It became a famous dinosaur. So famous that other museums around the world wanted a cast skeleton of it for their museums.
In the book, "Biblical Cryptozoology: Revealed Cryptids of the Bible" (ISBN: 978-1-4415-2267-2). There is a chapter about Diplodocus titled, "BEHOLD NOW BEHEMOTH - DINOSAUR", page 13-14, This book can be viewed on amazon.com/books/cryptozoology.
For more information on the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Andrew Carnegie, and Diplodocus go to http://www.carnegiemnh.org .