Christian recording artist Carman Domenic Licciardello, known to his loving fans as just, Carman, announced early on Valentine’s Day, via Facebook, that he has been diagnosed with myeloma cancer, which is incurable, but he’s determined to go out with a bang.
"I will not leave this world quietly and I want the devil to know that he put cancer on absolutely the wrong Italian…” – Carmen’s Facebook fan page.
The 57-year-old singer/songwriter has played a significant role in the evolution of the Christian music industry. His dramatic-action-storyteller style performances and songwriting can almost take full credit for creating ‘Human Video’, which in turn, completely changed the face of youth ministry. Carman’s creative, fun, scripture packed songs have been acted out in youth groups across the United States and Mexico more than any other music artist.
In November 2011, Carman was involved in an auto accident. He was in the passenger seat when the driver made a left into the church parking lot in front of a crowd of fans waiting to get into the concert. A truck from oncoming traffic struck Carman's side at 50 mph. Carman was able to walk into the church attempting to continue with the scheduled concert, but collapsed soon after. He was taken to Liberty Hospital, in Liberty Texas, just outside of Houston Texas, where he was examined and x-rayed. No broken bones or spinal injuries were found. However there were internal injuries that required surgery. -Source: Charisma Magazine & All Access.Com
In a photo post made on both his official and personal Facebook accounts on February 14, 2013, Carman then revealed that he had been diagnosed with myeloma and given a prognosis of only three to four more years to live.
“I have delayed writing this but those of you I call friends and supporters, who have prayed for me and this ministry need to know about this new battle that lies ahead. One week ago I was diagnosed with Myeloma Cancer. It is incurable and I've been given a 3-4 year window of time. Tomorrow I go in for my first bone biopsy and the process will start. I used to go to movies in the afternoon, now I go see doctors. I write these things for a few reasons. First, I want to put an end to all the rumors. Second, I ask for your prayers. And 3rd, I want you all to know that I will continue to minister and win souls until I can't do it any longer.”- Carman
In his post, Carman encouraged fans "to please come see me the next time I'm in your area. Bring someone who doesn't know the Lord or who needs to be healed." Further, he wrote, "I will not leave this world quietly and I want the devil to know that he put cancer on absolutely the wrong Italian. I have a few good years and before it's too late I want to see your faces, shake your hands and hug your necks. But mostly I want to see one of you get healed of what threatens your future and I really want to see someone you love come to Christ."
Besides Carman’s high energy, Vegas singer style, his music has always been characterized by its bold and loudly unashamed proclamation of the Gospel message. Carmen could definitely be characterized as Evangelism-Artist like; Keith Green, who was an inspirational influence.
Carman was passionate about ‘winning the lost’, and he would try anything to reach more listeners, including trying his hand at rap.
Some of Carman’s most well-known songs: The Champion, Addicted to Jesus – Featuring dctalk, Satan Bite the Dust, The Standard, Revival in the Land, Our Turn Now – Featuring Petra
Carman, born January 19, 1956 in Trenton NY, has always worked hard for his success. He started singing at the age of 16 and was going to be a ‘famous Vegas entertainer’ but found Jesus in 1970, and has been filling churches and stadiums since. Carman has quite an impressive list of accomplishments:
- Carmen has recorded 27 albums and has sold over ten million.
- He was named Charisma magazine's readers' choice for favorite male vocalist, in 1987 and 1989.
- In 1990 and 1992,Billboard Magazine recognized Carman's influence in Christian music by naming him the Contemporary Christian Artist of the Year.
- He recorded his first album in Spanish-Lo Mejor-which in 1995 which includes some of the already recorded songs like Who's in the House and The River.
- In 2000 the album Heart of a Champion came out with 30 of his best songs including new songs.
- Carman updated his catalog in 2007 with Instrument Of Praise, which saw him exploring the new musical styles of the time.
- He has received 15 gold and platinum albums and videos and has sold over 10 million records.
- Carman holds the world record for the largest solo Christian Concerts in history with 80,000 attendees for a Charlotte, North Carolina show, and 71,132 indoors at Texas Stadium, as well as the largest ticketed CCM solo concert with 50,000 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- First Christian artist to receive a coveted spot in the “Parade of Champions” at the Boxing hall of fame in Canastota, New York
Carman latest album ‘Anthems of a Champion’ is available in stores and on Itunes, as of January 22, 2013.
If you are one of Carman’s million plus fans, as I’ve been since I was eight-years-old, check out his Facebook page and let him know what his music and ministry has meant to you; let him know that he’s in your thoughts and prayers.
Check out Carman's World Wide Ministry website for tour dates through July and also purchase tickets.
Are you a fan of Carman’s music? What has his music meant to you?
Do you have any great stories to share about seeing Carmen?
If you’ve enjoyed this article please SUBSCRIBE above.
Follow on Twitter @Samuel Connelly
Or email: Samuelwconnelly@gmail.com