Carlos Santana recently reunited with a former Santana band member, who is now homeless. This started when a reporter, who was doing a story on illegal dumping, was told by a homeless man how the band Santana got their start in his garage, according to CBS News on Dec. 23
The reporter, Stanley Roberts, said that the man told him he was Marcus “The Magnificent” Malone. The reporter was a bit skeptical and checked out his story. Sure enough, Malone was who he said he was.
Roberts got a hold of Carlos Santana and he went with him to the trailer that Malone had been staying in. The two embraced and Malone said in a soft voice to Santana, “You don’t know how afraid I am to let you see me.”
Santana said “We cherish you. It’s an honor to be in your presence. The two had not seen each other since Malone left the band right before the time the band played at Woodstock. Malone went to prison in 1969 for manslaughter.
Malone played the congas o Santana’s first album and was an important influence on Santana’s Afro-Latin sound. Santana had said this in a past Rolling Stone Magazine interview.
It’s been decades since the men laid eyes on each other and now percussionist Rod Harper and producer Bobby Scott have expressed interest in reuniting with their long-lost band mate, Malone. Santana is helping Malone get on his feet and getting him a set of congas.