TEDMED has identified and focusing discussions around healthcare issues, challenges and roadblocks referred to as the 20 great challenges, which ranged from caregiving crisis to end of life care. To learn more about the specifics, please visit here.
The fact is we have much more healthcare care challenges which includes:
- Healthcare system is complex, fragmented and confusing even to healthcare professionals
- We are living longer due to technology and medical advances. This also means that we are going to be living with more chronic diseases, which will cost tremendously.
- Caregivers & sandwich generation families are working, caring for children, for aging parents and neglecting to care for themselves.
- Medication nonadherence, non persistence, patients not filling their prescription due to costs, polypharmacy, which based on estimates, costs over $300 billion/year me.
- Limited health literacy is also costing. According to 2011 Pew Internet, 8 in 10 Internet users have searched for health information online. Yet, only 10% of adults have skills needed to understand health information.
The list can go on but innovation is happening now
CareNovateMag.com, a Houston based online platform, a go-to resource that provides caregiving information, expert interviews, social health and medication literacy content to families and consumers has launched an educational program that focuses on caregiving, health & medication literacy. These educational programs are FREE and delivered via Google Hangouts, Twitter chats, teleclass and BlogTalk Radio with experts and experienced caregivers who are living the reality.
Their goal: to "advocate, educate, connect, empower & inspire" patients, caregivers, women, sandwich generation families, seniors and arm them with appropriate health, medical, wellness, care giving information so that they can be educated patients, informed patients, ultima and tely become their own health care advocates.
In Ocober, 2012, CareNovateMag.com launched a different program called "Health & Caregiving Innovators Interview Series" where they interviewed transformers, innovators, founders, cofounders, CEOs in the field of health, medical, wellness, behavioral, care giving, senior care innovation via Twitter #Carerx chat. The chat drew caregivers, caregiving advocates, healthcare professionals and extenders where questions were posed and insights were provided by onn how each entrepreneurs innovations will impact patient care, improve outcomes, reduce health related costs and so on. The chat was an opportunity to engage with innovators, entrepreneurs, caregivers, patients, healthcare advocates & health activists, healthcare providers.
Innovators interviwed included
- Victor Wang, CEO of Gerijoy, a talking pet for seniors and loved ones. Mr. Wang is one of 2013 TEDMED speakers
- Katie Vahle & Rebecca Palm, Founder of Copatient, women duoe founders whose goal are to help patient navigate, invistage and reduces medical bills and health care charges
- Dr Soheil Saadat, CEO of GenieMD, a personal app for medication management and holistic health.
Learn more about the interviews here.
CareNovateMag is now focusing efforts in highlighting and interviewing health, medical and/or care giving innovators in the Houston, TX area for any of their platforms. The goal is to connect resources available to those who needs them. In doing so, patients are more informed, educated which translates to improved health, literacy, patient safety, health outcomes thereby reducing healthcare cost.
Do you know a healthcare and caregiving innovator? Send them to CareNovateMag website http://www.carenovatemag.com.