Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Health & Fitness
  3. Healthcare

Carbon Monoxide poisons supported living home in Manchester

See also

The fire department and medical personnel were called to 11 Charis Road in Manchester after a staff member arrived to find a coworker behaving strangely and vomiting. Believing that it was an illness specific to the individual, the EMS was called.

When other staff and residents of the home began to show symptoms firefighters began to search the home. Everyone involved was taken to Hartford Hospital for treatment where it was determined that the victims had suffered CO poisoning. The home at 11 Charis Road is a supported living residence for four adults with developmental disabilities. It is staffed by workers who are responsible for assisting the residents with activities of daily living.

The cause of the CO leak was found to be a hole in the heat exchanger in the furnace. Connecticut Natural Gas Company said the natural gas furnace needed to be replaced. The Department of Developmental Services (DDS) who supports the residents of the home issued a safety alert regarding the situation. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and tasteless gas which is toxic to humans and animals in large amounts. It is required by DDS and recommended for all residents of Connecticut that every home should have a Carbon Monoxide detector, and that all detectors be checked on an annual basis.

If you liked this article and want to know when new articles are posted, please subscribe using the link at the top of this page. Your subscription is FREE, so why not?

On Facebook: Hartford Disability Examiner

Beth’s Blog: It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

Comments

Advertisement

Life

  • Johnny Manziel
    Should Johnny Manziel apologize for his hard partying over the offseason?
    Today's Buzz
  • Crop circles
    Similar crop circles appeared in Germany and England within days of each other
    Camera
    19 Photos
  • Advanced placement
    The AP program is gaining traction as a key component in college admissions
    Camera
    5 Photos
  • Beach hats
    Beat the heat with the best summer beach hats for women
    Camera
    Beach Hats
  • Expectations for ministry
    Pastor preaches to newly ordained ministers about expectations for ministry
    Camera
    6 Photos
  • Medical symptoms
    See which symptoms should cause you to seek a doctor’s attention right away
    Camera
    6 Photos