When you walk into the grocery store, its easy to be overwhelmed with expensive, prepackaged baked goods. If you're trying to stick to a diet or a budget, it can be very tempting to cheat just this once. At $4 and up for baked goods full of preservatives and ingredients you can't pronounce, it's best to keep walking and keep a few delicious recipes on hand, like these Caramel Apple & Chocolate Oat Bars!
• 1 ¾ sticks salted butter, softened
• 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
• 1 ½ cups quick oats
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp salt
• 2 cups chopped apples
• ¾ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
• 1 package individually wrapped caramels (14oz)
• 2 Tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9”x13” pan with butter and set aside.
- Mix butter and brown sugar together. Add flour, quick oats, baking powder, and salt.
- Place caramels and milk in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes, stirring once. Allow to cool briefly.
- Stir chopped apples & chocolate chips into the caramel mixture and fold into the oat mixture.
- Press into your pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool completely, cut into bars, and enjoy!
What is your favorite dessert recipe to whip up when cravings hit?