19th Concours d’Elegance rolls out this weekend on Amelia Island
Calling the Concors d’Elegance a just big deal lacks a certain grace and elegance.
For each year for the past 18 years, the show’s organizers have brought the history of the automobile to Greater Jacksonville.
Name a type of car manufactured before 1974, and you’re likely to find cherry examples of it at what is one of the grandest and classiest car shows ever, anywhere.
Name a manufacturer of high performance cars, and you’ll find it represented at this year’s Concours.
And they offer test drives.
Nuts & bolts
The 19th Annual Concours d'Elegance celebrates Maserati’s 100th anniversary, Beach Cars, the Underslung, Chrysler Concept Cars and the 50th anniversary of McLaren.
This year’s honoree: Jochen Mass – Born in Dorfen, Bavaria, the 67-year-old Mass raced in 114 Formula One World Championship Grands Prix beginning July 14, 1973, at the British Grand Prix. He won the 1975 Spanish Grand Prix, achieved 8 podiums, and scored a total of 71 championship points. After leaving the Formula One circuit, Mass gained international fame with his performance during the European Touring Car Championship in the early 1970s.
Past honorees include Sam Posey, Vic Elford, Richard Petty, Parnelli Jones, the Bobbies Allison and Unser and Sir Stirling Moss.
Cars on exhibit
Cars are exhibited (see schedule) at the Concours by invitation only, and not just any jalopy gets shown.
And there are prizes, too, and the event’s judges are among car manufacturing and racing elite.
Some of this year’s entries include:
- Alexander Calder's BMW Batmobile Art Car
- The Bobby Unser Inspired Infiniti Q60
- Corrozzeria Zagato: Cars of the "Lightning Z"
- General Lyon's Duesenberg
- Jackie Cooper's Ferrari 410 Superamerica
- The Mercedes that won the "Race of the Century"
- Packard's Rare Concept Cars
- Rare Chrysler La Comtesse Concept Car
- Sir Stirling Moss' Le Mans Coupe
About the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance Foundation, Inc.
A section 509(a)(2) and 501(c)(3) established in 1996, the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance Foundation, Inc. donates a portion of its proceeds to charity. In the past 18 years, the Foundation has raised more than $2.2 million for use right here in northeast Florida.
The Foundations charities include:
- Community Hospice of Northeast Florida – End-of-life care for hundreds of terminally ill children and adults in North Florida regardless of their ability to pay.
- Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society
- Shop with Cops – Christmas program that benefit help underprivileged kids in Nassau County and Fernandina Beach.)
- The Spina Bifida Association of Florida at Jacksonville (SBAJ)
19th Annual Amelia Island Concors d’Elegance
- Mar. 7-9, 10th & 18th Fairways, Golf Club of Amelia Island at Summer Beach adjacent to The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island, Fla.
- Admission: Check Fri. & Sat. schedule for events free & open to the public. Admission to Concours judging on Sun., Mar. 9. Adults $80, Kids 12-18 $40, Kids under 12 FREE with paying adult, Active military & immediate family $40 with active military ID.
- Parking: $15 ,includes shuttle service to The Ritz-Carlton. Show parking is available at the Fernandina Beach Municipal Airport on Sunday of show weekend. The airport lot closes at 8 p.m. on Sunday.
- 4750 Amelia Island Pkwy.
- Amelia Island, Fla. 32034
- Phone: 904-277-1100
- Fax: 904-261-9064
©2014 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years and knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design. Contact: email@example.com