(Updated: March 7, 2014)
The third-annual Celebrity Smile Challenge is scheduled for Saturday, March 15 at Canyons Resort in Park City, Utah. The celebrity ski race raises money for Operation Smile, an international medical charity for children born with cleft lip, cleft palate and other facial deformities. For modern medicine, the corrective surgeries are relatively simple, but in regions without basic medical care, children may be forced to deal with a lifetime of health issues and social stigma.
Teams of celebrities, professional skiers and amateurs plan to compete in a head-to-head slalom race. Television host Billy Bush ("Access Hollywood") and actress Kate Walsh ("Grey's Anatomy") are among the event's chairs. Actor Zachary Levi ("Chuck") is involved through title sponsorship by his multimedia company, The Nerd Machine.
Individual tickets to the event's fundraising dinner may be purchased at the Operation Smile website for $250 each. General donations may also be made through the website.
Headquartered in Virginia Beach, Va., Operation Smile has a presence in more than 60 countries, mostly in the developing world, with more than 5,400 medical volunteers. Along with donating medical equipment and supplies, the charity also trains local doctors and medical professionals in the nations it serves.
Celebrities scheduled to participate:
- Zachary Levi ("Chuck")
- Billy Bush ("Access Hollywood")
- Kate Walsh ("Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice")
- Alan Tudyk ("Suburgatory")
- Barrett Foa ("NCIS: Los Angeles")
- Jay Harrington ("Better Off Ted")
- Joel David Moore ("Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story")
- Missy Peregrym ("Rookie Blue")
- Jason Ritter ("Parenthood")
- Gregory Smith ("Rookie Blue")
- Nicole Sullivan ("MADtv" and "The King of Queens")
- Aisha Tyler ("The Talk")
- Patrick Warburton ("Rules of Engagement")