Gilberto Valle, dubbed the “cannibal cop,” has been released from jail. A judge overturned his conviction and now he has been released into the custody of his mom. The New York Daily News shared the details on Tuesday.
Valle had been convicted on charges of plotting to kidnap, kill and eat women, including his wife. Now the judge has issued a ruling determining that there was insufficient evidence for a conviction. Valle, a former NYPD police officer, had been in jail for 21 months.
The former officer has now been released on $100,000 bond and he needs to be on home detention at his mother's Queens home. The judge also ordered mental health treatment per the prosecutor's request. Valle was ordered to stay away from his alleged victims and to stay off the computer.
The jury determined last year that Valle wasn't just fantasizing when he talked about his intentions in Internet chat rooms to kill his wife and others, and then cook them. The judge says there was a lack of hard evidence in the case. The ruling said that “No real-world, non-Internet based steps were ever taken to kidnap anyone.”
The defense naturally is thrilled with the judge's decision regarding the cannibal cop, but the prosecution plans to appeal the decision. The judge did maintain the conviction that Valle illegally used a law enforcement database, where he is said to have looked up his potential victims in the database. The judge issued a 118-page ruling as the conviction was overturned.
The Los Angeles Times notes that the judge acknowledged that the case contained “deeply disturbing misogynistic chats and emails written by an individual obsessed with imagining women he knows suffering horrific sex-related pain, terror and degradation.” However, the judge says that the lengthy conspiracy of the cannibal cop never moved beyond talk online. Did the judge make the right call in the Gilberto Valle case?