Candied fruit is a delicious and chewy, not to mention healthy alternative to junk food. Each piece has more nutrition than a handful of candies. In this recipe you will be introduced to kumquats which are the most unusual of all the citrus fruits around. In fact it looks like a citrus fruit, is referred to as a citrus fruit and tastes like a citrus fruit with one exception, it isn’t a citrus fruit at all but is indeed a fruit. Kumquats which are sometimes referred to as cumquats are high in carbohydrates, calcium, phosphorus, ascorbic acid and potassium.
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 2 cups of kumquats thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- In a medium sized pan bring the water and sugar to a boil, stirring constantly until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Then reduce the heat to a simmer and let it cook for 10 minutes until the sugar water starts to thicken.
- Now add in the cinnamon and kumquats and cook on simmer for 45 minutes or until the fruit softens.
- Then transfer the kumquats and the sugary syrup to a bowl or arrange the fruit slices on a platter and pour the syrup over the top.
- Allow the candied fruit to cool completely either to room temperature or chilled in the refrigerator before serving.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author:
Home and Living Examiner shares household tips, events, tips and tricks for greener living and fun crafts and ideas. Healthy Living Examiner teaches about nutrition, updates on public news alerts and recalls and medical and health issues. Jackson Celebrity Examiner has the gossip about your favorite stars. Mobile Top News Examiner brings news stories to your fingertips occurring in the United States as well as other countries on a variety of topics. Mobile Holidays Examiner is interesting while sharing traditional and bizarre holidays, food holidays along with history and trivia about fun holidays throughout the year.