Hugo Chavez death will have countless political repercussions. The internet is saturated with serious analysis and speculations on the political outcome of Venezuela, as well as the possibility of military interventions.
But what about his health? Could his death be prevented? Can we prevent cancer or are we doomed to die from it once we are diagnosed and receiving chemo?
In July 2011, Chávez went public to announce malignant tumors that had been removed from his body. "I neglected my health and I was reluctant to have medical check ups. It was a fundamental mistake for a revolutionary," he told the Guardian.
He neglected his health, sounds like the story of any of us. It is not clear where did Chávez developed this cancer but accounts relate to his pelvic area. Speculations abound to either colon or prostate cancer. In any account, cancer is cancer, regardless of the area of the body that it attacks and the question remains. Could he have prevented this?
Maybe his long life friend and comrade Fidel Castro, has the answer. Born in August 13, 1926, the Cuban leader will soon be celebrating his 87th birthday. Last February, Fidel had lost his 88 year old sister. Is there a secret to their longevity?
According to some reports Castro follows a macrobiotic diet with ingredients imported from Italy. A non-smoker since 1986, Castro outlasted nine American presidents up to George W. Bush.
Whereas Chávez is on record of declaring a War on Obesity in 2009, his expressions revealed little knowledge on what it takes to eat healthy. At 55 year old, the revolutionary leader shed 20 pounds but was still noticeable overweight. A year later he went through a surgical operation, and then another in 2010. In 2012 he underwent six hours of surgery that ended with complications.
Chávez was going through the traditional "cut, poison, burn" method to treat cancer, otherwise known as surgery, radiation and chemotherapy. Although he received the best medical treatment available, the method proved once more a failure.
Cancer is the most common cause of death in the world. It claims six million lives per year. We have been using chemo officially since 1943 just to see cancer increasing at unprecedented levels.
Fidel's approach to health according to unofficial leaks, deals more with prevention and environmental aspects of health. Fidel's health is deemed as a top secret issue.
Besides macrobiotics, the following are simple steps to avoid or at least lower the risk of suffering from cancer:
1. Drink alkaline water. Cancer tumors do not thrive in alkaline water.
2. Look for natural vitamin and supplements. You are better off spending some extra dollars in a compound that your body will absorb instead of wasting money ingesting a pill that will go through your system.
3. Eat raw and live foods. For more information on raw food, click here. Raw and live foods will keep you closer to super foods which are proven allies against cancer.
4. Avoid meats. Especially if you are located in the United States, the FDA approves indiscriminate use of antibiotics in meat and poultry.
5. Splurge in fruits and veggies. The good thing about fruits and veggies is that is virtually impossible to go overweight by eating too much on them.
6. Laugh, hug, love. Do not underestimate the healing power of the old adage live, love, laugh. These are automatic immune boosters.
7. Breathe in. In general, we do not know how to breath. There are nutrients in the air waiting to heal and nurture us, like nitric oxide, Viagra's main ingredient.
8. Read, activate your senses. Synapses occur when we read and think. Thinking speeds your metabolism.
9. Be productive. Is not merely about 20 minutes of exercise three times a week (and that's good too)... Is about being useful. The human connection has great healing powers.
10. Stay informed. Above all, be your best friend. Do not believe the hype, look behind the curtain. There is Google Books and Google Scholar where you can read for yourself summaries of latest studies.
Is not about dying or not, we will all die one day. This is about how do we want to spent the rest of our lives, do we want to from one surgery to another or do we want to be able to outlast a couple of presidents?
Had Chávez taken proper measures earlier in his life (Fidel quit smoking in 1986) a person with his stamina, would have certainly win this one.