Tuesday, November 19 is National Memory Screening Day.
Memory screenings make sense for anyone concerned about memory loss or experiencing warning signs (see below) of dementia; whose family and friends have noticed changes in them; or who believe they are at risk due to a family history of Alzheimer's disease or a related illness.
Screenings also are appropriate for anyone who does not have a concern right now, but who wants to see how their memory is now and for future comparisons.
These questions might help you decide if you should be screened. If you answer "yes" to any of them, you might benefit from a memory screening.
• Am I becoming more forgetful?
• Do I have trouble concentrating?
• Do I have difficulty performing familiar tasks?
• Do I have trouble recalling words or names in conversation?
• Do I sometimes forget where I am or where I am going?
• Have family or friends told me that I am repeating questions or saying the same thing over and over again?
• Am I misplacing things more often?
• Have I become lost when walking or driving?
• Have my family or friends noticed changes in my mood, behavior, personality, or desire to do things?
Warning Signs of Dementia
• Trouble with new memories
• Relying on memory helpers
• Trouble finding words
• Struggling to complete familiar actions
• Confusion about time, place or people
• Misplacing familiar objects
• Onset of new depression or irritability
• Making bad decisions
• Personality changes
• Loss of interest in important responsibilities
• Seeing or hearing things
• Expressing false beliefs
Colorado area screenings
Kmart Pharmacy’s Health and Welnness in-store event
363 S. Braodway
Denver, CO 80209
12015 East 46th Ave., Ste. 500
Denver, CO 80239
For information on other Colorado area screenings and for screenings done in Spanish, visit http://afascreenings.org/search-results.php?Country=United%20States&Stat...
Note: A memory screening is not used to diagnose any particular illness and does not replace consultation with a qualified physician or other healthcare professional.