On Wednesday, February 19, Bukowski Tavern in Cambridge will be collecting funds for the victims of a recent local fire. The fire left one woman dead and five adults and one teenager homeless, according to Boston.com.
Bukowski Tavern posted on its Facebook page that this coming Wednesday, Bukowski’s bar manager will be tending bar and donating all his tips to the victims of the fire. Other servers will also be donating a portion of their tips. The fire occurred nearby to one of Bukowski’s two locations. The fire which occurred in the early morning hours of February 12, destroyed a three-decker apartment building “nearly two blocks” from the Tavern, according to the Facebook post.
The Boston Globe reports that the 911 call came in around 4AM for the fire at 240 Prospect Street. More than 60 firefighters from Cambridge, Somerville, Watertown and Boston responded, according to Boston news site Wicked Local. WHDH news cites a Fire Department press release that says the fire was caused by an electric base board heater, writing, “according to a statement, either the heater itself malfunctioned, electrical wiring to the heater failed or combustibles on top of the heater caught fire.” The fire also did about $100,000 of property damage to neighboring 238 Prospect Street, the Globe reports.