Caltrans is seeking public input on the draft California Freight Mobility Plan (CFMP), it was announced in a press release last week. The agency is hosting eight public workshops throughout the state between June 17 and July 24, 2014.
The CFMP lays out a master plan for all the ways freight is moved in California, and includes seaports, air cargo, railroads and trucking. The goals are to promote economic competitiveness, benefit the environment, and promote public health by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants.
The US Department of Transportation will rely on individual state plans, including the CFMP, in shaping a national freight plan. The projects noted in the CFMP will be eligible to apply for a higher percentage of federal funding. About 40 percent of America’s internationally traded consumer products is transported through California’s 12 seaports.
In line with the state’s goals to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and achieve a sustainable environment, the plan seeks to transition the freight industry to zero or near zero emission by2050.
The CFMP is being developed in partnership with the California State Transportation Agency, the freight industry, public agencies, Native American tribal governments, and advocacy groups and will be finalized by the end of 2014.
The plan may be viewed online at www.cfmp.dot.ca.gov and at the workshops. Those unable to attend in person may comment by email to email@example.com, by letter or completed comment card to: California Department of Transportation, Division of Transportation Planning, Office of System, Freight, and Rail Planning, 1120 N Street, MS 32, Sacramento, CA 95814. Comments must be submitted by July 31, 2014.
The eight workshops are
- Sacramento: June 17, 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., California State Railroad Museum, Stanford Gallery, 125 I Street
- Redding: June 19, 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., Caltrans District 2 office building, Lassen Training Room, 1031 Butte Street
- Marina (Monterey): June 23, 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., Marina Public Library, 190 Seaside Circle
- Oakland: June 24, 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., Caltrans District 4 office building, cafeteria, 111 Grand Avenue
- Fresno: June 30, 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., Caltrans District 6 office building, Yosemite Room, 2015 E. Shields, Suite 100
- Los Angeles: July 22, 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., Caltrans District 7 office building, Rooms 01.040 A, B, & C, 100 S. Main Street
- San Bernardino: July 23, 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., Caltrans District 8 office building, Basement Training Room, 464 W. Fourth Street
- San Diego: July 24, 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., Caltrans District 11 San Diego office building, Garcia Room, 4050 Taylor Street
Like this story?
If you have a question or would like a reply to your comment, please post on Facebook or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subscribe to San Gabriel Foothills Examiner by clicking the "Subscribe" link.